Who doesn’t love shopping on vacation? Bringing back mementos and can’t-get-this-at-home gems that keep you in South Strand mode long after you’ve left? There’s nothing better.
Sometimes you are looking for something that’s truly special, honestly unique, and quintessentially beach. But where to go?
We’ve listed six of the best specialty shops near Litchfield Beach & Golf where you’ll always find the very thing you weren’t looking for. And isn’t that the point of great vacation shopping?
1) The Original Hammock Shop: This place needs little introduction, and is about as specialized as you can get. As the anchor to the Hammock Shops Village (which features even more specialty stores), the OHS is the place to get the “world-famous Pawleys Island hammock.”Also grab t-shirts, books or other souvenirs while you select your ideal backyard rope-woven respite. It’s the ultimate souvenir.
2) Surf the Earth: Beach town surf shops are the best place to find the latest in comfortable and stylish flip-flops, board shorts and sun hats. Oh, and surf gear, of course. The friendly and knowledgeable folks here will guide you through finding the perfect board, whether you are a beginner or pro, or starting out with a rental. Ask about their lessons, too, in order to ensure maximum success and fun.
3) Litchfield Books: Do book shops count as specialty stores? Sure! They specialize in books! Litchfield Books is one of those independent book stores that is rightly beloved by locals and visitors alike for their great selection, well-read staffers, and frequent author visits. Store employees will gladly recommend their favorites and make sure you find what you’re looking for. Cards and small gift items also available.
4) Millie’s Boutique: We can’t talk about Pawleys Island shopping without including this local style maven staple. They update their Facebook page often with some of their newest and cutest duds and accessories. Fancy a vegan leather laser cutout dress? A beach cover-up with SPF in it? The ultimate statement necklace? Head here. They know their stylish stuff and they’re happy to impart their expertise right on to all of us.
5) LuLu’s Paw Boutique: Why should us two-legged folk have all the fun? Fido needs love too. This is the store for the dog- or cat-lover (or just dog or cat) in your life. Find the quintessential piece of pet-themed art created by a local, organic treats and grooming products, toys, pet clothes and more, plus they support local shelters. This is a specialty shop devoted to your most special friends.
6) Brookgreen Gardens Gift Shop: Don’t let their small online presence fool you; the gorgeous shop at Brookgreen Gardens stocks all manner of garden- and art-themed books, tees, toys, jewelry and decorative accessories, most with a Lowcountry spin. It’s hard not to find something here, especially after having your socks knocked off by the staggering beauty of the garden grounds. Leaving here with a memory to savor is a must-do.
We’d be remiss to talk about Pawleys Island specialty shopping without including a link to all the stores in the Hammock Shops Village, where specializations are supreme. From the Audubon Shop and Gallery to High Country Olive Oil, Hammock Shops Village is an out-of-the-box shopper’s delight.
What are your favorite specialty shops in the South Strand? Let us know!