Every day is special when you're on vacation in Myrtle Beach. But make it a birthday and it's cause for an extra special celebration.
If your child is lucky enough have a birthday in Myrtle Beach, or close enough that you can postpone the party until your trip, the birthday boy or girl will have plenty of options for a fun way to spend the day.
Whether it's a crazy day of thrills or a night out on the town, you can find the perfect way to give your child a memorable birthday celebration. Here's a list of five popular places for kids to enjoy their special day:
* Family Kingdom: Located in the heart of the downtown Myrtle Beach district, this place is a kids' paradise. No need to make your child choose between an amusement park and a water park; this downtown attraction offers both! Buy an all-access pass and let the little ones splash and play in the heat of the day and get their thrills and chills all night. Best of all, there's no charge for accompanying parents, unless you want to get into the act too. Guests too young or old to ride the rides can still join the party.
* Fun Warehouse: This Surfside Beach attraction caters to birthday boys and girls with a wide range of activities. A large roller-skating rink with a DJ is a popular gathering spot for the girls, while the boys tend to gravitate to the two-story, 3,000-square foot laser tag facility. There's also a high-tech arcade, inflatable play equipment and a snack bar for a birthday meal. Special packages and party rooms are available.
* Pirate Party: The Carolina coast was once crawling with roaming bands of pirates, and it still is with a couple of pirate-themed places that are perfect for a boys' birthday party. Spend the day on the high seas at Pirate Adventure, a replica clipper ship that takes little sailors on a successful search for treasure and an exciting clash with a rival captain and crew. Cap the day with dinner and a show at Pirates Voyage, featuring a festive performance by a band of singing, dancing, swimming and diving pirates, along with a feast fit for the birthday buccaneer.
* Massage/Retail therapy: If a pirate party sounds a bit too boyish for your birthday girl, maybe a mother-daughter spa date is more her speed. The Cinzia Spa at North Beach Plantation offers packages for just such occasions, allowing you and the birthday girl to be pampered like a queen and princess. For younger girls, Broadway at the Beach provides a pair of alternatives. Sparklez offers mini-makeovers, like manicures and nail-polishing, and Build-A-Bear Workshop gives your child a chance to literally make a new friend by designing, stuffing, sewing, dressing and naming her own stuffed animal. If none of those items strike her fancy, there’s always a good old-fashioned shopping spree at one of the surrounding malls or outlet stores.
* UCP Game Zone: Ask kids to make a list of things they love and these two – pizza and video games – would rank in the top ten. UCP GameZone has them covered. Featuring a unique blend of the latest high-tech video games and old carnival-style machines such as Skee-Ball, the whole family can get into the action. After you work up a sweat and an appetite, head to the restaurant for a nice selection of salads, sandwiches and the famous pizza. Combination packages are available so the birthday kid can eat and play a discounted rate.
(Photo Location: Family Kingdom)